Saturday, September 14, 2013

Color Me Rad 5K and Indy Zoo

Year #2 for the Color Me Rad 5K!

It seemed much more popular this year and the course was different than last year. Even though we had to wait for a few waves of people to go in front of us, it was still a much better organized race than the Color Run last year in downtown Indy. Once again, Amanda signed up, but couldn't do it because she had mandatory parent/teacher conferences at her job, so Bobby took her spot. Matt was signed up, too (because Amanda signed him up), but decided not to go since Amanda couldn't go.

Last year I was still working through my Couch to 5K program to even run an entire 5K without stopping (I was on week 5 last year). Last year I finished at about 42 minutes and this year Bobby and I finished at 29 minutes!  That's right, in a year I was able to shave off 13 minutes!  I'm pretty happy with that. My average pace this year was right around 9:30/mi. I'm sure I'll sign up for a few more 5Ks this year, but I'm hoping by my birthday...the big 3-0...that I can run a mini-marathon without stopping...I think that may be realistic?!

A few weeks ago, my mom mentioned her idea of walking with Natalie in the stroller for the race. Bobby and I both thought it was a good idea, but weren't sure how Natalie would handle color being thrown on her. While we were waiting to start, Natalie sat on Bobby's shoulders and they through color...she wasn't a huge fan, so I only hoped she would behave and want to finish the 3 miles with my mom okay. Not only did she love the 5 color stations because she was getting "dirty" (what is better than "colored dirt"...haha!), she walked the majority of the 5K with my mom!

So...while Bobby, my mom, Natalie, and I did the race, my dad was in charge of Aubrey. She behaved for him, but we told him that next year, he will have to walk it too so that both Aubrey and Natalie can walk it!


Aubrey giving my dad a look as she crawled away from him while we were running:









What I believe Natalie was telling Aubrey: "Aubrey, look how dirty you can get next year!"


BEFORE

AFTER:

LAST YEAR:

Cassie and her family ran too!

 




After cleaning up at Amanda's house and grabbing lunch at Mug N' Bun, we headed to the zoo, which was crazy busy! It's been awhile since I've gone on a weekend day and boy was it busy! My dad hadn't been since Amanda and I were little girls, so probably at least 20 years or so. There were a few exhibits that were closed like the Desert and Butterfly Gardens, but we still got to see most of the animals and it was a beautiful day. Natalie walked the entire time we were at the zoo, too!  Her little legs have to be tired after all her walking today!



Up close and personal with a pretty bird:





BOTH girls talked Grandma/Grandpa into a ride on the carousel, but it didn't take much convincing!


 





After the zoo, we headed back to Amanda and Matt's house to hang out until it was dinner time. Amanda's birthday is next week, so my parents treated us all to dinner at a place called The Library. We had good food and fun! Happy Birthday, Auntie Amanda!

While at dinner, Aubrey used her first sign for 'Please'! Also, Natalie stayed dry all day, even during the 5K. I'm so proud of my babies!  They are growing up too fast!

We had a great day with family and now we are all wiped out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.