Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving and Baltimore!

Last year I had come across a race that you run through the Baltimore Zoo. It's also an 8K (5 miles) which is unusual. It didn't work out for me to go to it last year when I was really into running, but this year, we decided to take a trip out to Maryland to see the Mumaw's since we haven't been out there for 2 years. It worked out well that I could sign up to run that race, and the original plan was that Kristen would do it with me. She got busy and didn't have time to train, so I did it alone, but everyone came to root me on even though it was pretty cold!  Bonus was we were able to get all 8 of us into the zoo for FREE! It would have costed each family about $80 so it worked out well and we all had a great time. 

I haven't been running hardly at all lately, or working out for that matter (I need to get back to it ASAP!) My official time was 52:47 which puts me under an 11-minute mile which I was happy with, especially considering all the massive hills! Luckily there were just as many downhills as uphills, but the uphills were killer!  My goal was to finish under an hour, so I met that!  None of the animals were out, except the penguins during the race, so it wasn't as scenic in the zoo as I had imagined, but it was still a fun race and I would do it again. 






The chimpanzees were a lot of fun to watch!


 




While we were in Maryland, we went to Fort McHenry and the children's museum. At Fort McHenry, the 3 girls (mistaken for sisters) were asked to help raise the flag. Aubrey didn't want to participate and Natalie had to be talked into it, but Alexis was very excited. Evan wasn't sitting with the girls while they were asked, otherwise I'm sure he would have been asked too. He still got to help take down the current flag and then raise the flag with the girls. It was a neat opportunity that may not happen again. At Fort McHenry, it is one of only 5 places in the US that is authorized to fly their flag at night. It's also the birthplace of the Star-Spangled Banner.  Natalie now talks about the "United States flag" whenever she sees it!

Before we ventured out though, I took some family pictures for the Mumaw's!  Here are some of the kids...Aubrey wanted no part in it! :)



















This Navy man was videoing and offered to send us the footage. Not sure if Bobby or Kristen ever heard from him though.








This is what the girls were doing when they got picked to help raise the flag...haha! Crazy girls!




Baltimore Children's Museum...the kids had a blast (Bobby too)!



 











 Bonus! We even got to see George! Natalie was super excited and gave him a hug...Aubrey cried...haha.

We had a lot of fun in Maryland visiting! Our drive to South Bend was long, but overall okay. Started off very snowy and slick, but ended dry and smooth!

I didn't take photos at Thanksgiving, but we enjoyed spending time with both of our families with 2 large Thanksgiving feasts!  The week went by quick with about 28 hours of travel, but it was worth it and we can't wait to make the trip again!  We have so much to be thankful for!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.