Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy 1st Mother's Day!

We had a very busy weekend, but a great one too!

Friday, we attended a funeral for our friends, then headed to Indy to pick up our race packets for the Indy 500 Mini-Marathon. We met my parents and sister at the hotel and proceeded to the convention center. Afterwards, we continued our walk downtown further to get some dinner. Most places were crazy busy and had 1.5 hours or longer waits, but we finally found a place that was only 45 minutes. Instead of using the pager system like most restaurants, they took down your cell number and called you when your table was ready, which was so nice because we could walk around the mall to pass the time. We got our carbs in for the big race in the morning and proceeded back to the hotel. I carried Natalie in an Ergobaby carrier which was great and I think will come in handy so much better when she is just a tad bit older (will fit better in it) instead of lugging around a stroller. It was especially nice to use in large crowds or when "living the pedestrian lifestyle" in downtown Indy.   She seemed to really enjoy it and slept while she was in it.  At the restaurant, Bobby put a lemon up to Natalie's mouth and below is the reaction we got (see video).


cute little crocheted cowgirl boots


Saturday was the big race day!  Bobby was running it with our neighbor, Eric. I was walking it with my mom, her friend Nan, and my sister-in-law Kristen. Neither my mom nor I trained at all for it and everyone had completed all the training or at least some of it. Us walkers, our only goal was to finish the race and not be picked up by the trolley (had to keep at least an 18 minute/mile pace); whereas, Bobby and Eric wanted to run it in a 7:30 pace.  Happy to say we all finished! Bobby and Eric didn't quite make their goal pace, but I would say they did a pretty awesome job. They finished in 1:48:06 which was just a little over an 8 minute pace. The walking group finished in 4:00:55 (just a tad bit slower than the runners...haha). We were all hurting in our own ways! Bobby's legs were tight, my feet were killing me, Kristen almost passed out and had some crazy blisters, mom was sore, and Nan was sore and ended up in the ER today for compartment syndrome in her lower leg in which she will have surgery so please pray for her!  I think it would be safe to say that we were all happy to have said we did the Mini!  Bobby and I had done this race last year (run/walk) and I had done once before that as well (run/walk). My goal next year is to run the race (definitely not as fast as Bobby and Eric though) and Bobby wants to run and of course improve his time. The Mini has always been an inspiration to me since the first time I did it because you see people of all shapes and sizes. We saw a couple of service"people" (a man and woman) in their fatigues carrying 70lbs on their back; Allen from Biggest Loser Season 8, a couple of people that were blind and walked holding onto their walking partners; a man with a prosthetic leg; people probably at least 50 years older than me (and faster)! We also saw and heard of a few that needed medical assistance, so please pray for them as well! Nan had some great friends that made a banner for her and stood outside of the 500 Speedway track that was such a great motivator for her at just the right moment. We can all say we proudly finished 13.1 miles!

Nan and Mom before the race

Kristen and I

Walking on the track in the rain!

Almost to mile 9!


What great friends of Nan!

Victory mile!  Almost there!

Natalie bundled up and wearing Daddy's medal!

After the race, we went back to the hotel and Natalie got to go into the pool for the first time. It was pretty cold, so I thought for sure she would cry as soon as she got in, but she loved it. Bobby took her in a little later after waking her up, but eventually fell asleep while in the pool with him. I hope she will love the water as she gets older too and take after her daddy with swimming!



After swimming and relaxing at the hotel after the race, we met up with Kristen, Jeff, Evan, and Alexis, as well as Eric and Rebekah and their family. No place we called took reservations and with having 15 people, that was a major issue! So, we had to split up in groups of 8 and 7 and didn't even get to sit close enough to talk to everyone, but we all enjoyed our dinner after our almost 2 hour wait. Crazy!

For some reason she enjoyed laying like this!


Mother's day was nice! We packed up our car with what felt like our entire house because we had SO much stuff!  Matt and Amanda came to the hotel and we all walked to the mall downtown to find a black dress for Amanda's wedding, plus I had to take back the 3 I ordered online and didn't really care for. The guys were all dreading the mall! But, since it was Mother's Day, they really didn't have a choice. Luckily, the first store we went to and the first dress I picked out fit and was perfect for Amanda's wedding! Can't believe I finally found a dress that fit my huge you know what and hid my stomach post-baby! It couldn't have been anymore perfect! We ate lunch in the mall, did a little more shopping (more browsing than anything). My parents got Natalie the cutest swimsuit, but she won't fit into it until next year (was a great deal) and an adorable Baby Gap jean skirt overalls! After walking back to the hotel, we went to get Rusty at Matt and Amanda's and headed home. Once we were home, Bobby finally gave me a Mother's Day card (I was starting to wonder if I was going to get one) that he helped Natalie write her name, even while she was half asleep...haha! However, Bobby said my gift won't be here until tomorrow, so I'll update this with what I got once I get it. I absolutely love being a mom and have the most beautiful daughter!  Life couldn't be anymore perfect (except for the fact that I wish my Mother's Day gift was that I got to be a stay-at-home mom for a little while). Happy Mother's Day!






My 1st Mother's Day!

Notice Natalie's handwriting :)


Natalie had a lot of firsts this weekend:

Tasted a lemon (got the expected reaction)

Went in a pool

Used her baby carrier

Stayed in a hotel (and did great)

Natalie definitely had a lot of stimulation this weekend and she is now tuckered out!

Love her more than words!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.